Recycling is a fundamentally important conservation concept that often dominates the conversation about how we can help the environment. Two other concepts, “Reduce” and “Reuse” actually provide a much higher return for the environment for the effort expended. If you are looking to take action beyond recycling, check out these easy things you can do at home and work that will help reduce waste, save energy and help the environment.
Reduce – Not creating waste in the first place
- Waste prevention, also referred to as “source reduction,” means changing habits to reduce the amount of trash created every day. Putting reduce into practice is one of the best ways to help your community decrease the amount of material that goes to the landfill. Here are a few tips to help make less garbage and save money and resources:
Shop with the Environment in Mind
- Buying in bulk is the best way to reduce packaging.
- Avoid purchasing items like juice boxes that have packaging that cannot be recycled.
- Avoid purchasing individually wrapped snacks.
- Avoid buying single-use items like paper or plastic plates, cups and disposable silverware.
- Instead of buying that new electric saw for that one-time project, can you borrow one from a neighbor or rent one?
- Look for products that are durable, can be repaired and have extended repair warranties. This allows you to extend the life of the product without giving in to the impulse of tossing and buying new.